The Fall Season is upon us! While saying goodbye to summer is bittersweet, the fall season brings us here at CBDK9 one of our favorites, pumpkin! Why do we love pumpkin so much at CBDK9? Besides all the pumpkin spiced lattes, pumpkin pancakes and pumpkin pies for us, pumpkin also has many benefits for our best friends. That’s right, our furry friends can enjoy pumpkin right along with us! So as we make ourselves pumpkin everything, we can also make pumpkin treats for our furry family members.
So how is pumpkin beneficial to dogs? One of the most common uses for pumpkin is helping with digestive issues, one of which is diarrhea. Canned pumpkin is an excellent source of soluble fiber and contains essential vitamins and minerals. Additionally, canned pumpkin also contains vitamins A, E, C, potassium, and iron. The natural fibers and essential vitamins of the pumpkin helps to slow down digestion by adding bulk to the dog’s stool by absorbing water. And yet, pumpkin can also help with constipation issues as well. As pumpkin is high in fiber, it can help naturally move things along in a comfortable way. Experts recommend starting with adding a tablespoon of plain canned pumpkin to your dogs food, and depending on how your dogs react can be up to 4 tablespoons. Most people report seeing a difference pretty quickly. As always if any issue persists, always talk to your vet to determine any underlying issues.
Even if your best friend doesn’t have any stomach issues, pumpkin is chock full of nutrients beneficial for dogs. Vitamin A can help with vision and vitamin C can help boost the immune system. Just like humans, our furry friends can also catch colds. Vitamin C is can be a great way to help your pup’s health kept in check, especially as the weather gets cooler. Additionally, vitamin C can be important for dogs who are getting older as it can help protect their joints.
As stated above, you can just add a tablespoon to your dogs food. Always use plain canned organic pumpkin, do not use the canned pumpkin pie filling as it has too many additives and sugar which is not good for our furry family members.
We here at CBDK9 like to make homemade from scratch treats with pumpkin for our furry family
members. They think it’s just a delicious treat while we know we are giving something that is good for them! Here is one of our favorite recipes:
- 2 ½ cups of whole wheat flour
- ½ cup of instant oats
- 2 eggs
- 1 15 oz can of plain pureed organic pumpkin
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted smooth organic peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon of molasses
- 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Small cup of water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Whisk together the eggs, pumpkin, peanut butter and molasses
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, oats, ground flax seeds and cinnamon
- Pour the dry mixture into the wet mixture and stir
- Add water as needed to make the dough workable, but dough should be somewhat dry and stiff
- Flour surface and roll out the dough to about ½ inch. You can cut into ½ inch pieces or use small cookie cutters in whatever shapes you would like. Paw and bone shapes are popular here at CBDK9
- Bake until cookies are hard, which can be up to 40 minutes depending on size
- Let completely cool before giving to your best friend
These will make a good amount of treats, up to 50 depending on size. Store cookies in airtight container for a week. You can also freeze the treats as well, since these do not have any preservatives. But how much better do you feel knowing exactly what you are giving to your furry friend.
We do not recommend baking these treats with CBD oil. However you can drop some oil onto the treat after they have been baked and give them to your best friend.